L.P. Sirois General Store
The Émile Rioux store, in the foreground right
In the foreground right, the Émile Rioux store. Grocer Louis-Philippe Sirois acquired it in 1917 and gave it to his son Marcel in 1948.
In 1917, Louis-Philippe Sirois jumped on the opportunity to buy Émile Rioux’s store. He was already an experienced salesman, having worked at a nearby general store owned by his cousin Antonio Sirois. Cacouna’s families shopped Louis-Philippe’s general store for the dry goods and other groceries he stocked in drawers and on shelves. In the late 1940s, a cold room was installed near the back of the store, along with a butcher’s counter where customers could procure a variety of meats. Louis-Philippe’s son Marcel Sirois travelled the surrounding countryside to buy animals from farmers. Beef cattle shipped by train from western Canada were unloaded at the Cacouna station.
Postcard E. Rivard, Édit., Cacouna, P.Q., Richard Michaud Collection
L.P. Sirois and his son Marcel, undertakers
Louis-Philippe Sirois and his son Marcel extended their enterprise by offering a service of undertakers.
When Marcel began helping out more in the store in the 1930s, Louis-Philippe Sirois opened a mortuary business. In 1948, Marcel took over the family business, L.P. Sirois et Fils enrg., including both the grocery store and the funeral home.
Photo source :
Yvon Desjardins Collection
A seamstress in the workshop of Marcel Sirois
A seamstress in the workshop of Marcel Sirois.
Marcel Sirois had also been interested in making school bags for several years, and eventually set up a workshop in the store’s warehouse. His leather shop, Marcel Sirois inc., employed some fifteen people in the early 1950s.
Photo source :
Lucienne Roy Collection